The Wayland All Schools News (WASN) is sent periodically to WHS, WMS, CH, HH, LK, and TCW listserv subscribers. As a courtesy service to WPS families, in addition to school-related news, the WASN may also include, but is not limited to, community-based, non-profit*, non-sectarian, child- and parent-oriented news, activities and events from:
- School affiliates (e.g., WSCP, WPSF, PTO, WaylandCares, SEPAC, etc.)
- Wayland programs (e.g., Wayland Recreation, Wayland youth sports organizations, Wayland scout troops, Wayland summer/vacation-week camps, Wayland Public Library, etc.)
- Regional or national youth programs (e.g., TEDx Talks, Destination Imagination, etc.)
- Programs located outside of Wayland when they provide unique opportunities not available in our town.
*From time-to-time, commercial businesses may be mentioned in the WASN, while such businesses are 1) partnering in school, school-affiliate or Wayland program fundraisers, 2) being thanked for in-kind donations, or 3) providing youth programs at the Wayland Public Schools.
We also may include registration information for youth summer camps located in Wayland, and for summer camps located outside of Wayland when they provide unique educational opportunities not available in our town.
All community news items are subject to the approval of the Superintendent’s office.
WASN does not solicit community news items.
News items included in the Community section of the WASN are not school sponsored.
News items for consideration should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brevity: Please keep your news items very brief. Just a few sentences with a link to your website for additional information.
- No formatting: Plain text is fine. No need to format your news item.
- No Flyers/Attachments: We don't attach items to our newsletter, but we're happy to link to a Flyer on your website.
SCHOOL COMMITTEE POLICY KHB:
(Relevant excerpts below)
ADVERTISING IN SCHOOL BUILDINGS, ON SCHOOL GROUNDS, ON SCHOOL PROPERTY, AND THROUGH SCHOOL PUBLICATIONS
The School Committee will place limits on advertising (both temporary and permanent) of commercial products or services in school buildings, on school grounds, on school property, and through school publications for the following reasons:
- The school system should provide students, parents, and employees some measure of protection from exploitation by commercial organizations.
- The school system should not give the public the impression of generally endorsing or sanctioning commercial organizations.
The intent of this policy is to minimize exposure to students of advertising of commercial organizations.
. . . Publications of the School District will not contain any advertising. However, this policy will not prohibit advertising 1) in the community section of electronic communications sent by the District . . .